I will be the first to say this is NOT a healthy recipe, but it is OH SO delicious! I did make some modifications to make it slightly healthier, but sometimes, you have to make those delicious things every once in a while. My hope is to experiment with ways to make it healthier in the next couple of week, so stay tuned! I did however make sure this was corn free, which is a lot of times hard to do.
The store brands mentioned below are used to ensure the recipe is corn-free. Substitute with what you have on hand if it isn’t a concern to you.
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 2/3 cups canned Trader Joe’s organic pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe’s pumpkin pie spice
- a dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp of baking SODA (powder has corn)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s powdered sugar (this is the only corn free powdered sugar of which I’m aware and have access)
- 1 8 ounce package of low-fat cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 1 stick of butter, softened to room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (I’m a HUGE fan of vanilla from the Dominican Republic – I order if off of Amazon!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl or the bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, mix pumpkin, eggs and sugar until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry roll ingredients well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined (be careful not to over beat the batter).
- Spray a 9×13 pyrex dish with coconut oil. Pour in a thin layer of batter.
- Bake the filling 20-22 minutes, checking the center to see if it needs more time at 20 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla, followed by the powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven and using a knife loosen all the edges as much as possible.
- Then flip the cake over onto a kitchen towel with no fibers sticking out (I recommend using a tea towel).
- IMMEDIATELY roll into a roll shape (I didn’t do this the first time and it turned into a blob).
- Let roll cool for about 3 minutes in fridge while it takes form. You still want it to be warm when you apply the filling.
- Unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly. Carefully roll the cake back into a roll and transfer to wax paper.
- Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and enjoy slightly warm, or cool it in the refrigerator. Store it in the refrigerator (if there’s any left to store!).