I love my crock pot. To be honest, I love all THREE of my crock pots. I used to think that was too many, but there have been multiple occasions that I have used all three at once. I have a mini, medium, and large. My large one is the one I use most often due to the size of many of my recipes. One of my favorite recipes is chili; especially this time of year.
- Ground turkey or whole chicken breasts (if using chicken, use one regular sized package of boneless, skinless breasts and place them at the bottom of the crock pot. Remove and shred before serving. If using ground turkey, cook it beforehand and place in the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients)
- 1 32 oz carton of organic chicken broth
- 2 peppers, any color, chopped into small bites
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped into small bites
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into small bites
- 1 16 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can/box of chickpeas
- 1 16 oz can of black beans
- 1 can of Rotel (this is optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (may add more later depending on level of spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (may add more later depending on level of spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder )
- 1/2 cup rice flour (may need more depending on level of thickness you desire)
I find it easiest to dice everything up the night before (and if using turkey make the night before) then place all of the diced up ingredients, meat, and spices (don’t place the tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, or rice flour in) in a container to allow the seasonings to truly soak in.
In the morning set your crock pot on low cook for 10 hours. Place all ingredients except rice flour in crock pot and stir before leaving for the day. About a half hour prior to serving, put rice flour in and stir (pull out the chicken and cool for a few minutes before shredding and returning to the pot at this time). Place crock pot on warm and serve when you’re ready!
Toppings: (some may not be corn and/or gluten free)
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Sweet Potato Chips