When I found out I was allergic to corn, nachos are one of the things I had to let go. Last week, I decided it was time to work on a new version. I also received a gift at Christmas from my sister of Fresco Spice Blends, so I tried out the Sweet Red Bell Pepper and Garlic Spice Blend and it turned out delicious!
To recreate my creation, start with placing olive oil over the bottom a skillet and placing the chicken in it. Then coat the top of each piece of chicken with a mix of the fresco blend, ground cumin, and a dash of red cayenne pepper. Flip the chicken to the other side and spice up that side with the same combination.
While the chicken finishes cooking, spray a cookie sheet then place a bag of veggie chips (I used Trader Joe’s) on a cookie sheet and dice up vegetables. Once chicken is done, add zucchini and onions and saute for five minutes.
Upon completion, place the chicken and veggies that have sautéed on top of the chips. Add other veggies, if desired. Optional, top veggies with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 350° F. For serving, I had peach salsa and guacamole. It was scrumptious!
- Gluten-free, corn-free chips of your choosing (I like <a href=”http://www.terrachips.com/”Terra Chips</a>)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Fresco Spice Blends Sweet Red Bell Pepper and Garlic Blend
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Guacamole, as desired
- Salsa, as desired
- Colby Jack Cheese, as desired
- Sour cream, as desired
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the veggie chips on the paper and spread them out like you would nachos. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into cubes or strips. Season with Fresco Spice Blend, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Return the sauce pan to the stove and add another splash of oil. Add onion, peppers and zucchini. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Turn of the stove and transfer the sauteed vegetables to the bowl with the chicken.
- Once the oven is preheated, top the veggies chips with the chicken and veggie mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. If desired, turn on the broiler.
- Transfer the chips, once they’re ready, to a big plate. Serve with guacamole, salsa, additional cheese and/or sour cream, as desired.
- Share and enjoy!